1. Style
Del Sandeen

The Dominican Blowout: Worth the Hype?

By December 17, 2012

Update: Since first publishing this blog post, readers have been steadily weighing in with their opinions, so thank you! In case you missed it the first time around, I wanted to re-post this with all comments in order to help you make an informed decision. Original post follows...

The Dominican blowout isn't new, but salons that offer the service are expanding beyond big metropolitan areas like New York and Chicago. Nowadays, you don't necessarily have to live in the big city to find a stylist who specializes in this technique.

What makes a Dominican blowout so special?

Women who've had the service and love it rave about how straight and bouncy their hair is after a blowout. It can be tough to get your hair bone straight and feathery-light at home, especially if you're not proficient with a round brush and a two-hand technique.

On the flip side, I've heard some women say their hair was damaged after one of these blowout sessions. There's a lot of heat, and in many cases, a lot of pulling involved to get the hair perfectly straight.

So is the old school method of stove-heated irons better? Or is the Dominican blowout the way to go? And how are the lower prices typically found at Dominican salons affecting traditional black salons?

This is a big debate going on in the hairstyling industry, with plenty of opinions on either side.

What say you? I've never had a Dominican blowout (thought about it, but finding a salon where I live is a no-go) so I can't compare the two. If you have, I'd love to hear what you think!

Comments

June 17, 2010 at 6:15 pm
(1) Lubni "Lu" Cazeau says:

First thank you so much for putting this together. I have a combination of 3C to 4B hair, currently transitioning from relaxed to natural. I have had a Dominican Blow Out and a hot press. Though years far apart I can tell you the DBO is really harsh. The hot air, pulling, and sharp teeth of the brush on the scalp are not fun. The results are beautiful at first then you see the consequences on your bathroom floor after. BREAKAGE! The traditional hot comb is not for the faint at heart. If the comb is too hot you WILL burn your hair straight off. So only the experienced should attempt this method. However I have found that the normal blowout, ceramic flat iron combo does a much better job as the heat is more controlable and the damage is less as heat defensive products can/should be added during both processes. As far as the salon wars go, I am currently just looking for a salon that specifically caters to transitioning to natural hair. Find any let me know please.

June 18, 2010 at 10:44 am
(2) Marissa says:

I’ve never had a DBO but I’ve only heard horror stories about them. Many women have said its fried their hair and permanently damaged it. I will NEVER get one of these!

June 18, 2010 at 2:27 pm
(3) blackhair says:

Thanks for the comments! I’m definitely leery because the stories I’ve heard are so different. Plus, I’m really scared of having my hair damaged.

@Lubni, if you email me with your location, I’ll try and find a salon for you.

June 28, 2010 at 4:18 pm
(4) Mz. Pat says:

I would never recommend DBO..A girlgriend of mine told me to go b/c you didn’t have to wait long, like in black shops, the price was affordable and I would love the results..I tried them, [1] there is a communication issue, lot of translation going on I should have walked out then, lol..[2] they use some products I never heard or seen before, [3] then there’s the blow-dryer or should I say flame thrower, that dryer is to hot for the human skin. My scalp was sore for a week and I couldn’t even sleep. It was awful and painful. I think you have to have really thick hair like them or your scalp is made of rawhide..Its not worth it to me and the price is ok,I rather go to a black salon an wait, at least we know our hair and can catch up on the lastest gossip, lol…

October 27, 2010 at 1:56 pm
(5) Leila says:

I filmed a video tutorial with detailed commentary on how to do a Dominican blow out. I would love for you to check it out.

I have more videos coming soon so please subscribe to stay notified.

December 29, 2010 at 2:10 am
(6) Lisa says:

My visits have been positive and my hair is healthier as a result. I’m not going to debate about too much heat and what’s not good for black people hair…like other people. All I know is that it works for me.

January 3, 2011 at 5:39 pm
(7) Heather says:

I agree with you Lisa. I have been natural for two years now and I recently got a DBO and my hair came out beautifully with no damage. When I was relaxed, I would go to a Dominican shop and they did my relaxer and blowout and my hair was very healthy. Even though I don’t get them anymore, I can honestly say my relaxer didn’t burn when I went there.But I wouldn’t recommend getting a blowout all the time because of the heat as well. You have to do all things in moderation and if you are natural, getting a blowout is probably good once or twice a year if you want to achieve a straight style.

February 24, 2011 at 6:57 am
(8) Angelique says:

I had been relaxer free since 2006 and got my first DBO in October 2010 – LOVE IT especially the PRICE and another three weeks later…I noticed excessive shedding and after three weeks, trying to hold on to the straightness I washed my hair with the intention of going back but my hair starting coming out in clumps….It has extremely thinned my hair and changed the composition of my hair. My hair continues to shed in Feb of 2011. I have not returned, but I am not sure of the true cause of my issues. I was told I went back too soon. I am not sure of the shampoo they used or the conditioner, but the original results were wonderful to achieve the bounce and straight style. I wish someone would help me to stop the shedding and regain my thick straight hair again.

February 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm
(9) Aurelia says:

@Angelique try warm water and Epsom salt after u wash and condition your hair it should put strength in it and stop breakage

My friend just told me about DBO and I was interested but ill stick to black salons. I’m scared to get my new natural hair damaged.

April 8, 2011 at 5:20 pm
(10) Regina says:

I just got my first DBO and I’m loving it today! ONLY heat discomfort was in my thinning area. I am a 40ish Black female and my first review is very, very positive for the results, sheen, straightness, and PRICE over my usual salons. I’ll see what happens next, but I couldn’t ask for straighter roots and sheen than I have today. My last relaxer was 6 weeks ago and I’m hoping these DBO can lengthen the time between relaxers as I decide to go natural or not.

April 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm
(11) LonnieT says:

Regina – Where did you go? I am looking for a good blow out, but also some one that truely care for my hair. I like Mena’s (Stylist Hasina Rock’s) in Matteson but they are to expensive, $40 a minimum. I like to get my hair washed and blown out twice a week but thats $80 a week which is to much for me.

April 21, 2011 at 11:44 am
(12) MadeInSweden says:

Lonnie!: Why dont you do a Brazilian BLowout of a Keratin Treatment. then you dont have to do a blow out every week. It lasts for at least 8 weeks if you use sulfat-free shampo. I ve done it and the effect still lasts after 10 weeks, not as much as in the beginning but there is still much more shine.

Yes, you use flat iron when doing it but that is it. Then you dont need to use flat iron for 8 weeks. I find it much easier on the hair than blow drying everyweek or braiding and stuff. You just wash it and then it looks great. Even if it rains a bit outside the shine is still there when the hair dries.

July 17, 2011 at 11:33 pm
(13) Robin says:

I have lived in DC,& now in Miami. I have had the DBO in both cities and in both places are good. I have never had to deal with my scalp being burned. If it’s too hot that’s when you say something don’t just sit there. Never let anyone do something to your hair your not comfortable with. Sintia’s near DC is great! Prima Dominican salon is good in Miami!

The downfall with DBO, your hair is not really styled, everyone tends to look the same when they leave. That’s one of the reason I love my stylist in Miami at Creative Hair Design! She is FEIRCE!!! If your looking for a DBO it’s ok. But if you want a STYLE go to a salon, and in Miami go to Creative Hair Designs,
and see the owner she is FEIRCE with her skills! Happy hair to all!!!

December 7, 2011 at 11:34 pm
(14) Natasha says:

Well I can honestly tell you guys from experience, DO NOT, and when I say do not I mean DO NOT do it! Occasionally maybe but if you do it often u will lose your hair starting from the back. So here’s my story:
My hair was permed at a young age and I’ve always had difficulties growing my hair, when it actually grew to shoulder lenght thick and healthy(after alot of braiding and treatments), I desided to stop being “cheap” and go to the salon every 2 weeks to wash it instead of doing it at home, and honestly I would have been better off taking care of it alone. Don’t get me wrong once u get that DBO it’s GORGEOUS but…. Adterawhile the heat starts having a huge tole on your hair :( . So now my shoulder lenght full and healthy hair is short, dry, and brittle. So have to start all over again. I honestly can say that I regret it. It wasn’t easy to grow my hair and now is gone because I chose not to be “cheap” and let a pro take care of my hair. Now the back of my hair is a little over an inch long due to the extreme heat… :(

December 12, 2011 at 12:25 pm
(15) Teri says:

Well I have been getting the DBO for a while, its cheaper the stylist don’t mind taking the time needed to get the kinks out. My experience in the traditional black salon is they use chemicals for everything. My hair was on a relaxer-crack got tired of it and switched to getting it blown out/doobie. I can walk into a domincan salon with a fro and leave with flowing straight, moisturized hair without relaxing it. I have never been back to the traditional black salon. Personally relaxers are too harsh for my hair and as soon as they see me (the traditionally black stylist) they want to relax my hair :/

December 13, 2011 at 7:52 am
(16) Zakoyyah says:

I’ve had DBO for aproximately a year and honestly I have never experienced the horror stories. Initially I started on my relaxed hair as I began my transition and now Im completely natural. I feel it lasts longer than the traditional hot comb and they don’t use nearly as much product. I was brought up with the old school straighen process with the grease, straighen comb, stove, and prayer that my ears didn’t get burnt lol. In fact I didn’t.get a relaxer until I was 19. So DBO’s are the bomb to me. I think the problem is when they are done improperly, or too often. This isn’t something you do.every week and honestly I think it should be done once a month. I feel ANY straighten process shouldn’t be done before 4 to 6 weeks apart. I haven’t lost my curl pattern so no damage here. Yes most are less expensive than traditional AfroAmerican salons. Yes most are quicker than Afro American salons .They’re normally walk in only, Some salons will allow you to use your own products to use. Yes there can be a language barrier but the one I’ve gone to and currently use actually have stylists that speak English so they can translate if you have questions. For some reason I always get the older ladies that speak little English but no problem here because my hair comes out the bomb :) I’ve been to Dominican salons in ATL and now Im using one in SC and I have had great results in all of them. In fact they kept me from doing the big chop several time during my transition. So with all that said i am #teamDBO

December 21, 2011 at 2:26 am
(17) Nicole says:

I’ve had the DBO on and off for about 4 years and the conclusion I’ve drawn is that it really depends on the stylist. I live in Queens, NY and when I started blowing out my hair I would go to salon in Brooklyn which I loved. The stylist I worked with always protected my hair by using plenty of leave in conditioner and achieved the results I wanted within an hour at an affordable price. At this time the only other technique I knew of for straightening natural hair was pressing and each time I tried it I found it to be a long, expensive and ineffective process (my hair would start to frizz as soon as I walked out the salon).

Getting the blow out saved me time and money and lasted so much longer than the press. But after a few years of going to the salon in Brooklyn, I tried to find a place closer to my home in Queens. It was there that I found stylists who couldn’t handle my hair and had to add “special” products that resulted in my hair losing its curly texture and then eventually falling out.

LIke I said before I’ve had some good experiences and some tramuatic ones. The lesson I learned from 5 years of DBO is to stay away from the special products and if the stylist can’t handle my hair with just leave in conditioner then put on my hat and walk out cause chances are they’ll screw it up.

January 18, 2012 at 12:39 pm
(18) Goldie says:

I do agree with you Lisa. If you get a DBO the safest time period between should be at least 4-6 weeks and do not get any treatment other than the leave in conditioner. Also if something hurts, say something.

January 25, 2012 at 3:52 pm
(19) Lilliana says:

I go to the domincian salon about one every three weeks and my hair has not been damaged thus far. I measure that by how often m ends need to be trimmed (about once every 3-4 months) which is the same as when my hair was flat ironed. My hair is natural, ive never gotten a relaxer or color. My hair is naturally should length and curly when wet and blown out it is about 2 inches from the middle of my back.

It is thick but never very course since I have been going to the salon. I would honestly say the Dominican style does use substantially more heat than the traditional blow dryer and flat iron/hot comb but the results are 100% better. The style lasts much longer and stays straight even in e humidity of New Orleans! They do use a certain kind of deep conditioner I believe it’s Nexxus which you pay an additional $5 for which is a STEAL compared to other salons.

I will say also that because my hair has always been relatively healthy I’m guessing because it’s 100% natural the heat has not really damaged it however if your hair is already damaged/unhealthy to begin with I would not go to the Dominican salon until it’s nursed back to health because the heat they use. Also if your hair is very fine, or straight naturally DO NOT GO to the Dominicans your hair will probably not be able to handle the heat.

February 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm
(20) smiley face says:

i get a DBO every two weeks and i love. i am also natural, and i think it is less damaging on my hair than me doing it myself. i have less slpit ends and my hair is growing long and heathy.

February 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm
(21) Shugar Sweet says:

Ladies,

If you love your Natural Hair, the curls, kinks, and the THICKNESS. please DO NOT GET Dominican Blow Outs! I have been natural for over 3 years and decidid that I wanted a different look. I tried the blow out and loved the end results. Minus the burnt hair smell, hair shedding, and dry scalp. The look was great, but shrot lived. So I decided to go back only one a month for a blow out and trim. Ibegan noticing a change with the both of my hair after the first blow out, but I thought “What the heck, my hair is strong enough, it will be ok. Well it’s not okay. My hair is limp and lifeless now. A twist out wont even give me curls. I can’t get any of the styles that I use to rock. It has taken me back to why I did the Big Chop in the first place. I feel like I need to do it again and go thru the transition. I have ruined my beautiful healthy hair by constantly adding heat. Please do not get the blowout if you LOVE your hair.

February 15, 2012 at 12:17 am
(22) Lilliana says:

“constantly” doing anything to your hair is NO BUENO! Everything should be in moderation. If you chose to get a Dominican Blowout I would definitely recommend that be the only heat you put in your hair (the wet to dry process) for at LEAST two weeks; anything more than that is overkill.

If you are someone is over conditioning your hair (yes there is a such thing) or constantly washing out the style your hair will be ruined no matter what you do with it. The bottom line is go for what feels right. If you do notice damage STOP and evaluate everything you are doing, chances are it’s not the amount of heat you put into your hair, its how OFTEN you are doing it.

Good luck ladies!

July 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm
(23) Tijuana says:

I got the Dominican Blowout and I live it! I was getting a silk press at a black salon and the hair is blow dried while it is wet and then flat ironed. The silk press was nice but not as long lasting the DBO looks amazing! I agree that you have to take into consideration the state of your hair before getting it. I am growing out my relaxer and this really works for me. The stylist that did my hair used an all natural conditioner when she rolled my hair and I was amazed I had just taken out my sew in and my hair was super kinky and tangled! I was there two hours and I will definitely go back!

July 18, 2012 at 9:52 pm
(24) Shaun says:

My hair is coming out in clumps after getting a DBO. I have been natural for 3 years and have only had my hair blowout twice. The first DBO was 8 months ago and average at best. The second one was this past weekend and now my hair is breaking and coming out. I hope I don’t go bald. It took me 3 years to get my hair to this state. This is so upsetting.

July 25, 2012 at 11:49 pm
(25) Robin J. says:

I love my natural hair. When I first decided to go natural, I prayed,’God, why didn’t you create black women to have wash and go hair?” His response, “I did!”
I also love the the variety of looks we as black women can have with our hair. Some days I rock my curls and other times I rock my DBO. All of my DBO experiences have been positive. The prime factor here is healty hair. Learn your hair…we all may be African Americans, but our hair is not all the same. What works for me may not be the ticket for you. Once I decided to go natural, I took the time to educate myself about what my hair needed to be healthy. But, in addition to that, I needed to be healthy on the inside too! True beauty starts within. No matter if I rock my natural curls or my DBO, I am good to my hair…use natural oils (I find Doo Gro to be the best…for me) and I make sure to wear a silk cap. At home, I use Shea Moisture products. At the Dominican Salon I go to, they use products for natural hair with no SLS.
Have fun with your hair…however you decide to rock it! Peace!

July 30, 2012 at 8:42 am
(26) Rhynita says:

I have gotten a DBO once before and it worked wonders. My is real curly and thick. I do not need chemicals or anything but I got the DBO so my hair could be more “tamer” and so it won’t be so hot in the summer. I didn’t have a problem when i gotten my DBO. Like a poster said, what works for me will not work for the other. Also, we do not have the same hair type so you can’t really have a debate on it considering that not one of us have the same hair texture. I am going back.

August 3, 2012 at 2:54 am
(27) TDB says:

I’ve been natural all my life and I probably started getting blowouts like maybe 4 years ago…I’d go at least twice a month or something like that and I agree they do the best work theres nothing like it. But my hair has always been VERY thick and very curly. But lately, I’ve been noticing…my hair isn’t as thick as a always remembered it to be. This could be from a factor of things i.e. stress, not conditioning right etc etc but I think from now on I’m just going to stay away from the blowout. The heat is just inhumane…and not very fair to your hair. Everyones different though different stuff works for different people. I’m trying to just do natural hairstyles and stay away from heat completely but god is it hard…I have no idea what to do that I like :(

August 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm
(28) Lauren says:

Today was my first time getting a blowout by the Dominicans and I LOVE IT!. My hair is natural. No perm for 5 years. Now, the process for the blowout is painful n hot. My hair,smelt burnt but looks great. I recommend it but in moderation ( at least 3 month intervals). My cousin would go once or twice a month n her hair fell out badly!

August 18, 2012 at 10:20 pm
(29) Jan says:

After the dominican blowout hair fell out…

August 19, 2012 at 9:29 pm
(30) Celeste says:

I was getting the DBO in MD about every 2 weeks for a couple months, I then put in my 2nd keratin treatment about 4 or so months ago, i went natural over 2 years ago i just grew out my relaxer…I had no problems with the DBO and i loved it my hair was straight, shinny, and had the perfect look, however now i haven’t had a DBO in a couple months and my new growth is about 1-1 1/2 in. i have been trying to style my hair however it is course in the roots and straighter throughout the rest…..so my question is will my hair ever go back to the true natural look or have i completely ruined the natural look in my hair?

August 28, 2012 at 6:45 pm
(31) Annie says:

I’m fifteen years old. Black and proud, my hair reaches past my back and close to my rare. I go to the dominicans about once every two months and my hair seems fine. It looks gorgeous after the blow out and i have no issues with it. But i guess i am lucky.

August 29, 2012 at 10:09 pm
(32) MzDee says:

@ Annie , its because you are young. I agree with the common theme, it all depends on health of your hair and dont overdo it.

September 12, 2012 at 9:25 pm
(33) Tiki says:

This is my second DBO. I love it!!!! Get so many compliments on my hair. It’s so healthy and healthy looking. I have notice some shedding. I will be watching it. I get my at Chic Dominicans in Washington, DC. I agree with a lot of you all. It is very hot. I make sure I get a wash and set so I don’t have to have my hair dried with the hand drier all the way. If it get’s to hot please let them know.

September 14, 2012 at 10:34 am
(34) Mrs.Tee says:

I visited a Dominican salon once. At the time I was wearing a weave with quite a bit of leave out in the front. While I was there I got a blow it. It did leave my hair gorgeous and silky. However, it was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in regards to hair. The hairdresser was extremely rough and the heat was nearly unbearable. Not to mention the parts of my hair that were left out of the weave no longer curl. I WOULD NOT recommend a DBO. It’s not worth the pain and potential damage.

September 22, 2012 at 5:03 pm
(35) Tay says:

I’ve been natural for almost a year or more. I’ve been getting DBO’s for about two years. When I get the DBO, which is about two to four times a month, my hair comes out great. Super bouncy, shiny, and amazing. Ever since I started getting my hair done there, it’s been getting longer and went from the bottom of my neck to my back. I think it doesn’t work for some people, but I think it’s great. You have to make sure you take care of your hair after getting the DBO by wrapping it and wearing a silk scarf/cap.

October 1, 2012 at 5:45 pm
(36) Alexandra says:

Hm. I have relaxed hair, I’m also mixed (indian & black, my hair leaning a little more to the kink in my opinion – then again I hardly know what my real hair looks like anymore).

Anyway I really started hating washing and drying my own hair, the longer it gets, the more of a pain it is, and I would never do it right and my hair would take a few days to look decent.

So I started going to various Dominican Salons, and they kept ripping me off randomly, but now I have found one. I wash my hair once per week, with them only. I get a deep condition. I like it and my hair is growing well.

The only thing is my ends are already dry and it does dry out my ends a bit, even with a deep conditioner every time. Lately at the Dominican salons in Atlanta, there’s a wave of flat ironing after sitting under the dryer AND getting it blow-dried. I have a favorite stylist now and she works hard to avoid using the flat iron.

Two things I do not do with my DBO salons – relaxers and hair cuts. I don’t mess with that stuff. I don’t see any certifications on any walls, so I go pro for those two things. I also give my hair a break from it once in a while and go to a regular salon that puts products in the hair before styling, which of course makes the hair greasier in a shorter period of time, but it just seems healthier.

Now that I’m comfortable in my DBO salon I think I will bring a leave-in conditioner sometimes to protect my ends from the heat. Other than that, this is one of the best things for me. Instead of struggling with my hair, I just sit and get a hardcore shampoo scratching massage that almost puts me to sleep, then I read my mags and study Spanish so I can understand what they are saying, and I have a blast.

October 13, 2012 at 5:37 am
(37) Licia J says:

My opinion regarding the difference in Black hair salons and Dominican salons is that African Americans are convinced the only way we can get bouncy, flowing hair is to have our hair chemically processed. I use to go to a salon that told me I should get a relaxer every 4 weeks. Everybody’s hair is different. My hair is very fine so I can go about 10 weeks without a relaxer. A DBO isn’t for everyone – again everybody has a different head of hair therefore products nor should salons be judged based on being an African American. Just like any other service, none are the same – you have to find the one to better suit you.
Everyone’s time is precious. No one wants to sit in a salon for hours consuming time to get their hair done. This is where I find Black salons to be an inconvenience. They become arrogant and too comfortable mainly with loyal customers. I know people gotta do what they got to do but personal biz should be kept to a minimum or on an emergency basis. This is their business so like any other business, clients should be scheduled so that personal needs are fulfilled while customer service is considered.
And lastly the gossiping; our beauticians over a period of time become some of our closest friends but some folks don’t know where that line is drawn. A beautician does not need to know our personal/family business. Once you tell it, the other clients will know it as well. If at the end of closing there are 2 or 3 people to finish up and you are the first one out, you become the “closing discussion”. That is not to say gossiping doesn’t happen in the Dominican salons. The majority of us don’t speak their language so it creates a communication barrier between clients and beauticians. That may be good and may not.
Bottomline, I love my Black salons and no one knows how to keep our hair healthy like our own but they need to polish up on customer service and the way their business is ran. Maybe some competition will force them to do so.

October 27, 2012 at 4:27 pm
(38) Gwen Mclean says:

I just had my first DBO today, and I absolutely love it! Hats off to Maritza’s salon of Raleigh, NC. I decided to have it done because today makes one year of being natural for me and I wanted to see the length without a perm. Very good progress. Anyway, it is very silky and bouncy- something perms rarely did for my hair. I would consider having one done again, maybe in about 6 months from now. Oh yeah, my friend told me to express that this was a first for me so that they would take it easy on the heat, well, I still felt it but it was nothing compared to the perm burns I used to get!

October 28, 2012 at 6:50 pm
(39) YB says:

Hi ladies!!! I have been getting a DBO for a year and half while I have been transitioning to natural. It has been great for me and has helped me through my transition. I have had no thinning or breakage of my hair. I do agree that it depends on finding the right stylist which that the case with a black stylist or Dominican stylist. I get my hair roller set and blow dried. I NEVER have them use a flat iron. After they blow dry it straight I have them wrap it( doobie). Good luck!

November 5, 2012 at 11:40 pm
(40) Kim says:

I love the blow process; but too much of anything can be harmful. I made the discovery that a vast amount of heat was not best for my hair earlier in my hair journey way before my first blowout; so I decided that going for blowouts every week wouldn’t be ideal for my hair. I go biweekly for a blowout; without perming. I have not been back and/or planning to go back to my American sisters salon. I love what my Dominican sisters have been doing for my hair; no appointments needed and you don’t have to sit there all day long. I love their system! They get you on and out. I works for me and more importantly my hai is healthy.

November 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm
(41) esther says:

i’m dominica and i can garanty that your coments must be base on a bad experience you had,OR THAT YOU HEATING US CAUSE WE GOT REAL HAIR AND YALL ALL WERE WEEG.

November 8, 2012 at 10:07 pm
(42) Nelly says:

Hummm.. Esther lots of misspelled words love. It’s guarantee,hating,wear and weave or wig. Not sure which one you were trying to say. And not all black women WEAR those. People were simply stating what worked or didn’t work for them. You had to take it personal and go negative.

November 9, 2012 at 8:32 am
(43) tiffiney says:

i see everyone is talking about shedding. when i used to get DBO’s (over 6 months ago)…i came to the realization that when you get more shedding than normal its time to wash your hair. i never had a bad expirence with DBO after i washed my hair (normally twice when right after the DBO) my hair went right back to normal, never lost my curl pattern and the shedding stopped…i am 23 with 3b-3c hair. but i also would not recommend getting them often..since i stopped my hair has grown 4 inches in the 6 months i stopped.

November 9, 2012 at 2:23 pm
(44) sandy says:

@Angelique, I exprerienced the same thing. I had the DB on October 6th and they told me to come every two weeks. I went again on the 19th. Now it is the first week of November and my hair has come out in clumps! I researched and found out that garlic is great for shedding and massive hair breakage. i hurried and purchased Queene helen garlic shampoo and conditioner. I must say it works! follow the directions and your shedding and breakage will stop. and STAY AWAY from DBs as a routine style. Only for special occassions that are years apart!

November 15, 2012 at 3:23 pm
(45) Esther says:

I have not had a perm in my hair now for 2 1/2 years. I have been getting DBO’s for the majority of the time alternate between braids. When I go to my Dominican sisters, I go every 2 to 3 weeks for about 4 months at a time. Then I get braids and wear then for a while, then I go back to the DBO. So far so good. One of the things I try to do whether I am wearing braids, small fro (not a good look on me), or DBO is that I take care of my air. Even though you want beautiful flowing hair with the DBO, you must make sure you use products while wearing the style that will moisturize the hair but will not weight it down. One of the products my Dominican hair stylist uses and I do as well is CHI Infusion.

November 17, 2012 at 10:01 am
(46) Ebony says:

The only time I had a bad experience with DBO. Was because when I would get a wash a set three days later I would get a blowout to make my hair straight !!! I did not kno how to treat my hair . But to me it depends on who does your hair because I go to a lady in the Bronx and although my hair is natural (I’m getting a perm today ) my hair is thicker then ever and even grew a ton ! She would worn me not to flat iron my hair after a get DBO and to only get it twice a month . My hair journey taught me that perms do not cause your hair to fall . Hot oils with coconut and olive oil work FOR ME . Pantene Shampoo works wonders for me and BURT’S Bees sulfate free shampoo.
I use organic leave in conditioner that have honey and milk . As long as you take care of your hair wrap it a night with a silk scarf. Use heat protectant QP spray ; occasionally hot oil treatments . Your hair can grow thick and healthy .drink water and massage your scalp . Good less ✌

November 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm
(47) jaskira says:

I took my two daughters to shop and they did’nt like it because of the heat and pulling. The heat from the blow dryers was burning them. 17yr old daughter had a relaxer and my 11 year old did’nt. The blowout made thier hair beautiful. But they could’nt stand the pain.I love the price. I did’nt take them back there.

December 6, 2012 at 7:17 am
(48) Alicia says:

Personally, I do not think a DBO is any more damaging than any other heat or chemical application if done properly, with the proper before and after care, and not done too frequently. There is the possibility of burning someones hair if the heat is set too high and if the heat is applied for too long. I think the stylist has to take in consideration the persons hair type and use appropriate levels of heat. Also, there is the possibility of breakage due to excessive pulling especially around the hair line and nape. These things can happen if the stylist is not experienced in proper hair care. The condition of the hair before the treatment is very important. A lot of people are in denial about their hair condition. The hair may have been damaged prior to the DBO and we all know that heat and damaged hair does not go well together. It only results in more damage and breakage and unfortunately too many stylist perform services on people that they really should not because of the money. My final comment on this question Dominican vs African American salon is this…My hair sees no color, ethnicity, etc. When I am looking for a stylist I want a stylist that understands hair care all types from JLO hair to Macey Grey or Lauren Hill! A good stylist makes sure that you hair is healthy. They do not do things to compromise that at any time money or not. What ethnicity a person is does not determine their ability. Thank You!

December 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm
(49) helen says:

People who have natural hair are always so dramatic. ( i have natural hair) no matter how you straighten your hair, it always takes some time for it to curl back after you straighten it. But if you are gonna straighten it alot you might as well do the DBO where they condition the hair and take time to detangle it. And By putting it in rollers they are damaging it less when they are blowing it out, then when you stick a burning hot flat iron in your wet hair. If you truly wanna have healthy hair, dont relax it and dont DYE it. but trust me straightening your hair here and there is not that serious. And even if you do it every week if youre taking care of your hair properly, when you wash your hair it will go right back to being bouncy. How do i know this ? Because i get my hair done at least every two weeks, and it is just as curly as it was when i first when natural

December 9, 2012 at 2:24 pm
(50) Ebony says:

I live in the Bronx, NY & I JUST NOW got this done to my hair…ladies, DON’T EVER DO THIS !!!
I KEPT telling them “my hair is VERY fragile please be gentle”…and she COMBS MY HAIR IN THE SINK WHILE COMPLETELY WET???
I tell them, ” I have permed African American hair, please BE GENTLE, SOFT with it”…to NO avail, why CAUSE THEY CAN BARELY SPEAK ENGLISH & have only 1 girl in there who knew english.
It’s like they DON’T KNOW OR CARE how to treat PERMED AFRICAN AMERICAN HAIR.
They kept BLAMING ME like I was wrong…I KNOW MY HAIR, how can they tell ME Im wrong like I dont know what Im talking about?!!!
I am VERY easy, careful and gentle with my hair, and did NOT want all my hard work flushed down the drain in 1 SESSION.
Whoever may be reading this, if you are like me, with permed and/or African American hair…please…DO NOT GO TO A DOMINICAN SALON AND LET THEM TOUCH YOUR HAIR.
And if you DO go to one that is ACTUALLY CARING & GENTLE…STICK WITH THEM AND NEVER CHANGE IT.
Now I have straight hair, but have to ix this damage..UGH

December 11, 2012 at 12:15 pm
(51) Orlsan says:

I want you to see this video of a DBO on a girl. http://www.examiner.com/video/dominican-hair-blow-out
It seems to be gentle to her scalp.

December 16, 2012 at 8:32 am
(52) Peaches says:

About 3 weeks ago I got my very first DBO. I heard about them throughout college and I seen friends get them, but the results never looked straight enough for me. Well. I finally got one. Prior to, I hadn’t used heat on my hair since last October 2011. After about 2 weeks, I washed my hair and conditioned because my ends looked very brittle. My hair started sliding out with the conditioner! Every time i combed through my hair, it came out. Also, my curl pattern is gone. My hair is bone straight, even when wet. I believe some women have the type of hair that can take this manipulation, and some women don’t. I will never get one of these. I have been natural 5 years in April and now I’ll have to start over.

December 23, 2012 at 7:41 am
(53) mica says:

I have been getting the DBO for a couple of months. I have very fine hair and was extremely weary about going but most people know that with fine hair almost anything will damage your hair-heat, relaxer, combs, brushes etc. So i figured I had nothing to lose, besides I have had to do the big chop 3 times because of damage. Honestly, i was really scared of the heat-I thought to myself as she was blowdrying that I would be doing another big chop-but I was pleasantly surprised 2 weeks later when I washed my hair, it went right back to being curly! I have been going every 2 weeks and I love it!! But I also go to the same person-she knows my hair is fine and is careful with it. To each his own. But I have never been happier.

December 27, 2012 at 4:51 pm
(54) Anna says:

Thank you for this information.
I’ve never used DBO.
hair transplant

December 27, 2012 at 8:56 pm
(55) Amber says:

I usually prefer the dominican blowout because of the bounce, but about a month ago I had the worst blowout ever. My hair was super bouncy and shiny. Many people believed I had gotten a relaxer because of how straight it was. I should’ve know something was wrong because my hair smelled super burnt but I was fooled by how healthy it looked. 13 days later I had absolutely no reversion. This kind of weirded me out because my hair usually gets puffy after a week. I got caught in the rain after 4 weeks while my hair was wrapped it puffed up at the ends but only in the front. I washed my hair after 5 weeks. As I was combing through the deep conditioner I noticed the burnt smell came back and my hair was falling out in chunks. 3 years of caring for my hair, 3years of growth all down the drain… smh . Needless to say I will not be heat styling my hair for a long time and I will be transitioning yet again. :-(

December 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm
(56) Belle Essence says:

Love the article about the dominican blowout. I made a video of me recently getting it done and the results are great :D
Thanks again for the article!

December 28, 2012 at 8:43 pm
(57) Belle says:

I just had mine done! see my vid on youtube my hair is so soft and silky now :D
http://www.you tube.com/watch?v=5_0UWOANpKY

December 29, 2012 at 6:08 am
(58) Roseeeee says:

Okay,
I feel like I have to clear somethings up.
That esther girl? Sorry, but her comment was slap-worthy. Just stop. There’s no need.

Ladies, It really does depend on two things. YOU and the HAIR STYLISTS.

Why do I say you? Well first of all, It’s crazy to get a DBO twice a week. All the more power to ya if your hair can take it, but more often than not, its not the case/ When I get mine, I wear it loose the first few weeks. Doobies very important! By the 4th I have to apply a little heat to it – flat iron, but no more than a LITTLE. By the 5th week its in a Bun on the top of my head. OR I wash and DEEP condition, because Obviously, if you are applying more heat, you need to revisit your usual care routine. The one you were using before didnt take into account the extra heat you are applying.

We also know the type of hair that is on our own heads. If you are going in for a DBO and you KNOW your hair is fragile, try some moisture treatments a couple of days before.

You can bring your OWN hair products if you want.
ASK them to be careful. I read that someone asked their hair stylist to be nice to their hair and the hair stylist pretty much ignored her. Now, I understand there is a communication problem, but you can almost always get your point across, and there is almost always and English-speaker somewhere. As to the whole combing-hair-out while wet in sink thing – That’s just the way it’s always been done in our culture. (Yes, Im Dominican!) I didnt even know it was a problem until you articulated that it was one. How was your hairstylist supposed to know that? She didn’t do it on purpose ya know? I suggests stopping her in the middle and attempting to explain. Just be VERY nice. It can be VERY insulting when someone tells you that something that you have been doing your whole life, and probably whole career as a professional, is wrong. Worse-case scenario? Just walk out.

December 29, 2012 at 6:09 am
(59) Rose con't says:

continued from previous comment:

Also, dont use hot water, and be superrrrr gently with that comb. Hot/warm water loosens/opens up hair follicles so hair comes out easier and attacking with a comb wont help.I just use my fingers.

KNOW your hair. For some hair types this is too harsh. Im getting this from what Im reading here. I never thought this was the case, as in my country we are very mixed. If you dont know how to do all kinds of hair you have NO business. Which leads me to my next point: If you have relatively healthy hair, and the DBO destroyed it, it was either not as healthy as you thought, very fragile or BLAME THE HAIRSTYLIST. There is no way (from my experience) that a DBO could have caused some of the things Im reading from people with relatively healthy hair. I would so totally 100% blame the woman behind the round brush.

Also,take in to consideration experience level. Think of it as your DBO vriginity. (haha) Experiences should vary on your first time.
Also, ASK how many times a week is good for your hair.

Well, to end to finish up here, I have crazy hair. I have combination 3a, 3b and 3c hair depending on where you look, what day it and heck, even the weather. But Ive been getting DBOs since I was 8 and my hair’s just fine. The only time I lost my curl pattern was when my sister convinced me to get a relaxer (grrrr!!!) and when my other sister thought it was okay to pass a hot straightening iron through my soaking wet hair. (Its fine on HER hair lol smh) There are 5 women in my house with widly diff hair and we all get DBOs and it’s always been fine.

I really hope this was helpful!

December 30, 2012 at 4:40 pm
(60) Michelle says:

Hi, I got a dbo one time on a sew in weave and then I got it spiral curled. I loved it so I would only suggest it on weave. Even my mother whose hair was to the middle of her back went and her hair was beautiful and she went every two weeks and I watched her hair break off before my eyes…it was to the point that she cut it off and started over because her hair was full of different length pieces of hair…but everyone is different. Good Luck

January 1, 2013 at 10:48 pm
(61) Stef says:

I went to a salon in DC and got a DBO. I originally went there just for a relaxer and style. Little did I know that they did not cut or style the hair. Why in the world would they have style books available if they did not do any styles?

After the relaxer, my hairstylist blow-dried my hair. After that, I was put under the dryer after rollers were put in my head. I stayed under the dryer for 30 minutes. After that, the hairstylists removed the rollers and flat ironed my hair!! I should have stopped her but I stupidly thought she knew what she doing.

My hair looked very thin but was very long and bouncy. So I left happy. I regularly wear wigs because I am too lazy to style my hair daily so after braiding my hair and putting a wig on, I started to experience a lot of breakage in the back of my hair. Please keep in mind that the back of my hair is the strongest, thickest part of my hair. Also know that I have worn wigs for YEARS without breakage to the back of my hair.

So now I have no hair in the back of my head, from the nape to the middle of my ear. I will never get a DBO again. Too much heat. Good luck if your hair can take it.

January 2, 2013 at 2:03 pm
(62) Sherrie says:

I think it all depends on the stylist knowledge. There are bad perms, bad blowouts and bad weaves… Too much heat period is never good. I will say that since the ceramic flat irons, I don’t have to get blow outs often… Healthy hair begins with diet and the daily hair care is also important. You must know your hair and care for it like anything else… I spend the majority of my time trying out all types of protective styles and I try to eat right, exercise and take vitamins daily.

Be careful and get a relationship with your stylist… If you cant speak to them (meaning they speak a language you don’t) and they don’t understand you and you dont understand them… They should not be your stylist.

January 3, 2013 at 6:53 pm
(63) Nikki says:

I have just gotten my 2nd DBO…my first one was a year and two months ago. I’m shocked that many women say they can get these every two weeks or even once a week. In my personal opinion I would never get this more than once every 6 months because it’s too much heat! But that’s just me! Also just because someone has long hair does not mean that it is healthy so I would recommend getting to know your hair before doing anything extreme to it! Also be careful of who you let do it because everyone may not know what they are doing but they can deceive you into thinking they do. As for Dominican vs Black salon. It doesn’t matter to me, I actually had mine done at a Black salon and I was not in there all day, just about 2 hours! My results have been amazing both times and I have had no damage!
The best thing you can do for yourself is learn your hair, inside and out!

January 7, 2013 at 11:47 am
(64) Charlene B says:

Thanks for informing our clients and hair stylist. The blow out had been around for years but bit done on ethnic hair as much due too the technique with so much heat applied at the base and pulling the hair through. I have done this technique and still does. Guess what I am not Dominican! So, advice to my colleagues in the business use this technique carefully, but get in with the trends. Be bless Charlene B

January 12, 2013 at 10:53 pm
(65) HELP ME says:

hey ive been going to this dominican place for months now but its not lasting long enough for the money. I didnt get the blow out they atually put a perm in my hair. I want to switch to an organics perm but idk if switching perms would damage my hair. does anyone have any advice as to whether it would damage my hair or not?

January 14, 2013 at 5:13 pm
(66) Nicki says:

Hi ladies:

As I took the time to read your posts, I couldn’t help but to wonder why so many of you had bad experiences. I have been getting DBO for two years now. I visit the salon every two weeks. Two and a half yrs ago I rocked a very low cut but had grown my hair out a great deal since then, with the aide of the DBO. Some things I learned along the way are: moisturize hair as often as needed (I apply water based moisture at night before I wrap my hair), the scalp does not need to be greased,as a matter of fact greasing scalp can cause hair to grow slower because the grease clogs pores and most importantly there is NO need to apply any form of heat between visits. I have not touched a flat iron or curling iron in my journey. If you wrap your hair every night with a silk-like material, YOU WILL NOT NEED TOO USE any heat between visits….My hair is now just above my bra strap and is healthy as its ever been.

January 17, 2013 at 4:50 pm
(67) Nina says:

i have been going to the same dominican hair salon since i was in 10th grade. i am 21 now. my hair NEVER grew until i started getting DBO. every time my hair gets damaged it’s because i go too long without going to the hair salon and/or attempt to do my hair myself. all i have to do to undo the damage is trim the ends. i will never go back to a black hair salon. i have been to PLENTY of black hair salons and it truly amazes me how none of them knew how to take care of black hair? they are also chop happy. NO ONE’S hair grows so fast to that they need to get it cut every week. it costs twice as much money at a black hair salon. dominican hair dressers are much more knowledgeable. i have learned so much from them. they can do your hair no matter what race you are.

January 27, 2013 at 5:07 pm
(68) Kate says:

I am native American & white, my husband is African American…… Our 2 daughters (9 & 5) have fairly ‘good hair’ , but frizz is an issue… They have both had DBO’s several times & ,as a mother, I couldn’t be more pleased with the results. My youngest only complained with combing out the tangles & LOVES the results. No issues with breakage so far (knock on wood) & I learned how to do it on my own to save money & time. Hot Combs scare me just looking at them, so I am most definitely team DBO :)

March 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm
(69) Angela says:

I finally took the plung and got the DBO. They used some type of chemical they called “deep conditioner” to straighten my hair. I didn’t like the deception.

I wanted to see how well my hair would hold up while working out and once I move to Texas. But, after the experience, I will continue to get the two strand twist.

March 30, 2013 at 12:56 pm
(70) Teena says:

Hey Ladies, so I went to a Dominican Salon for the past 3-4 years… I really loved the outcome… AT FIRST! However, now, I have realized that all that heat was NOT good on my hair. I went to one of my former salons (who also is Dominican) but she specializes in hair-care and not just a quick dollar. Well, she showed me that all that heat was not good and as a result my hair is damage and I have an uphill battle to climb to restore my healthy hair. Well, let’s just say I’m glad that I went back to my old stylist! I will not go to a stylist who doesn’t care for and treat your hair, ever again!!!! I should have known… SMH

April 12, 2013 at 1:00 pm
(71) Linette says:

The DBO is AWESOME!!!! Last for a month in humid or rainy weather. If your hair is HEALTHY there should be no problems with your hair breaking off. Your hair sheds some anyway when it’s healthy because it’s hair and that’s what it does. Falling out or excessive shedding happens when your hair has been damaged or over processed before you’ve had the DBO. Also for those who’ve had their scalps burned, don’t just sit still there while you are getting burned up. The stylist can’t feel what you feel on your scalp. They are focused on getting your hair straight. If it’s too hot you have to speak up for yourself. I have never had problems with my hair being damaged by the Dominicans. I do not have a relaxer. My hair is healthy and steadily growing down my back. My ends need trimming every 4 months. It’s wonderful. If your hair is damaged you can also ask for treatments from the Dominicans that will nurse your hair back to life. They have great leave in conditioners. As with all salons if your stylist isn’t doing what you ask for, stop them.

If you don’t speak spanish, you need only a few phrases if your sylist doesn’t speak English. Write them down and point to the phrase if you need to.
1) I have natural hair. I do not want a relaxer – Tengo el pelo natural y no quiero un alisado.
2) Deep conditioner please -acondicionador intensa por favor.
3) Don’t pull so much that hurts – No tire tanto, eso duele.
4) That’s hot. It burns. – Es caliente, me quema.
5) Trim the ends please – Recorte los puntos por favor.

April 13, 2013 at 2:59 pm
(72) nikki says:

DBO is the ish but only if the Dominican knows how to do it correctly and with the correct brush… old school dominicans follow the DBO how it is suppose to be done new school just wants to flat iron. My mom owns a salon here in miami for 27 years and we have had customers who have come here those 27 years because she makes their hair grow. she is super delicate in how she handles black hair because the majority of our customers are black especially if you are natural. DBO is the way to go! I am doing a documentary on Dominicans and hair ill post the link when its finished !

April 21, 2013 at 7:56 pm
(73) Schaelah says:

I’ve had both the original black straightening comb method and the Dominican blow out. In comparison, I would say that the Dominican blow out is more effective in getting straight flowy and bouncy hair. My hair is very thick, and I still have very thick hair even after getting the Dominican blow out every other week for about 7 months now. Meaning that I have not experienced any breakage thinning or excessive shedding. In fact, when I first went to the Dominican salon, my hair was damaged as a result of the traditional hot comb method and they had to trim a good amount of my ends off but now, my hair has grown back healthy and strong. If your scalp can not take a lot of heat, then I would not recommend a Dominican blow out because the blow dryer does gets pretty hot but other than that, the results are great and they nurse your hair back to health. I can’t speak for those who have had relaxers because I have never had one, but if your hair is natural the Dominicans are gentle, and they know what they’re doing, at least the ones that I go to.

May 9, 2013 at 6:52 pm
(74) Leeanne says:

I get DBO ALLLL the time, I have 3a to 3b hair and I’ve been natural for about 6 years. I LOVE the blow outs. Yes I agree that it can be damaging because of all the heat BUT I feel as long as you condition your hair after you sweat out the blow out you’ll be fine. My hair is long and healthy, I get a DBO about once every year if that. So if you wear your hair natural and you decide you want a blow out then get a blow out it’s beautiful my hair looks and feels amazing when I get one done, make sure you ask for a deep condition and make sure you take care of your hair afterwards and you’ll be fine. Take care of your hair that’s all.

May 17, 2013 at 11:46 am
(75) LadyR says:

It depends on YOUR hair and YOUR previous pattern of haircare.. i have hair like most of those dominican girls. and they do myhair great.. i dont utilize black hairdressers because i personally find they put too much “grease” or “oils” in my hair and i dont like that heavyness in my hair… once every 2 weeks is good enough for a blow out you dont need to do it more than that.. i put my hair in a ponytail bun at night and sleep.. my hair stays straight… if your hair is messed up from mom dukes perming/relaxing your hair at a young age then thats an issue but it can’t always be attributed to the DBO… i personally find a lot of women have had their hair mistreated from when they were little girls so good haircare is something they have to learn when they get older.. everybody is not the same.. so if you want to try the DBO , go ahead and try it but do NOT go under the dryer.. get your hair washed and then go sit in the chair… that’s how i do it.. in and out of the salon in under an hour and my hair is waist length… avoid the dryer, that is too much heat..

May 18, 2013 at 10:19 pm
(76) Jeanine says:

I just got my first blow out and I can honestly say that I’m in love with my hair. My hair is extremely soft, full of volume, and shiny. These salons use conditioners that are only sold to those with a stylist license. These products are not offered on the shelf to the average consumer. The conditioners are exceptional and most of the products are salon grade. Thus, allowing the natural hair to endure more heat. The best thing is to get a treatment done. You sit under the dryer and let the conditioner penetrate the hair, “treating” the hair. DBO is used to process the hair with hear instead of chemical. Some minority women have naturally dry nappy hair that cannot be processed with heat. We all know that friend with nappy, Beatty bead hair. The DBO is for women with curly thick grades of hair. Dominican women originated this process because it was appropriate for the characteristics of Dominican hair…thick..long..curly…course. I wish I could post a pic of my hair…becus it’s off the chain…and me and the woman who did it got really cool..and age revealed that not all black women can get them. She told me that she has been cussed out by black women becus their hair didn’t turn out glamorous like they hoped. Women with over permed, thin, nappy a** hair cannot get this done..and definitely not once every 3 weeks. This process is for NATURAL hair….and long hair….nicer grades of hair..mixed women…sorry but that’s what they don’t want to say…

May 20, 2013 at 12:57 am
(77) Kelli says:

Hi I am a hairstylist half african american and portuguese. I stated my race because portugal is close to spain so i look of some spanish desent, as of the pardo brazillian race. My hair is a 3c to 4a and im a beige complection, long story short im mistaken for dominican. Im a stylist that does all types of hair, and being i dont discriminate I decided to work with dominicans in a shop, as well as work in an african american shop. Believe it or not this is a very racist business. People only trust people with “their type” of hair. Smh. Anyway to the point i think girls that are natural that want a straighter look need to get a weave done if they want to preserve their natural curl pattern. So many reviews i see bashing dominican salons about heat damage but sorry press and curl is equal or even more heat. Dominican blowout=wash, deep condition, leave in condition, rollerset, heat protectant,blow roots for relaxed hair/ blow entire shaft for natural hair for 18 to 20 dollars or Press n curl= wash, deep condition, dry under hood dryer, blow dry with comb attachment, greese, flat iron/hot comb/curl whichever method wanted for 40 to 60 dollars. Use your own judgement.

June 7, 2013 at 12:27 am
(78) Keem says:

Im so glad I read this site I was goimg to get a DBO tomorrow..I just recently went natural and my hair is at my bra strap..after reading this site im canceling that appointment..I havent put any heat to my hair for 4 months and its been getting longer I jyst recently cut off 3 inches and it grew back to bra strap length in no time..thanks to the website im just going to stick with my twist and braid outs no straighting method is worth my hair breaking off plus transitioning I dont want to chance it…I take extremly good care of my hair and I dont want to mess it up so looks like I wont have straight hair anytime soon..loving this website

June 8, 2013 at 8:26 pm
(79) Johnnie says:

All comments are experiences that happened I am sure. My added two cents is too much heat on hair is just not healthy no matter what. If you are using relaxers ,color, grease ,conditioners, Shea butter etc then its not natural. Even heat makes the hair not natural. Unless you wash the hair with just WATER and nothing else and let it dry you are changing your hair.if your taste is relaxer free my advice is to take very good care of it and it will be there till you are dead. Same with relaxer free . If you are going kinky keep heat off it will change it. If you like dbo then do it every three weeks and for God sake you have to put something on it to keep it from being fried. There is no magic bullet to keepingp your hair.you only get one head of it so be careful. Once it’s gone you cannot get it back. Remember this to you get what you pay for. The younger you are 20 to 40 your hair snaps back but remember too menopause is coming and that’s when your hair really need extra care. Grace and peace and remember those with hair like you really do know better than the ones that don’t Black stylist rock but we as a people always love to give our money,only to anyone that don’t look like us(Asians Dominican, whites etc) quit going to the kitchen and then putting your horror stories on stylist OWN It. They really do try.

August 4, 2013 at 8:19 am
(80) adrienne says:

i’ve lived in ny for 5 yrs and have gone to the same dominican salon the entire time. i am a black american woman with relaxed hair. i wanted to point out the fact that all black hair is different, just like dominican hair. what works for one may not work for others. try it and see what you think. if your hair is thin, chances are you shouldn’t have a lot of heat applied to it. in the 5 yrs i have washed my own hair once and that was when i was on an island vacation. i was always in and out within 1 1/2hr- 2 and never paid over $30 (even with a trim)

i stand behind the dominican salons and am moving to chicago and need one DESPERATELY. i would love a good recommendation if you have one.

August 11, 2013 at 3:36 pm
(81) Jan says:

I have had 2 DBO’s within the last 3 months. I had been taking care of my hair because I wanted to grow out all of the chemicals. I finally did but because of the high humidity here, I decided to have DBO’s. Summary: Same shop but 3 different stylists; hair was very straight each time; heat was very intense and I told them so; all 3 stylists used roller brush and I noticed lots of hair on the floor; when I asked 1 stylist to use rollers before blow drying, she said that would be a waste of time, so she used a roller brush on my wet hair; loved the look and feel of my hair; it lasted well. My hair is already thin and is slow to grow (I keep my ends cut). I don’t know if I should go back. Also there was some discussion about how much to charge. I’d like to go to a salon where a stylist gets to know client’s hair. If anyone knows of a conscientious Dominican stylist in the Richmond area, please pass the information on.

August 28, 2013 at 5:39 pm
(82) Bdubz says:

I’ve had a DBO before and I loved it. It was recommended by a friend of mine and she warned me about the heat beforehand, but it was still shocking to feel it lol. I didn’t experience any breakage or damage to my hair. I’ve never heard of any negative experiences until reading these comments. I think the best thing to do is find a salon or a couple of salons, if you can’t make up your mind, and visit their websites if they have one. Read the comments people have left about it to help with your decision. I would recommend a DBO, and have recommended it, to others to try

September 26, 2013 at 1:01 pm
(83) Tammy says:

DBO’s are great for last minute special occasions. I would not recommend going to these kind of salons on a regular basis. If I have something special come up at the last minute and can’t get to my regular hair stylist I know I can rely on a DBO every time. I love the way they cut my hair and of course the volume and body is an added plus. My hair always come out looking great!

Note, I’m not sure if it makes a difference or not but when I go, I always pay a few extra dollars for the deep conditioner. I think this helps prepare the hair for the heat from the blow dryer.

October 3, 2013 at 4:59 pm
(84) Zinha says:

I have been natural now for a year and a half, the shop I go to shampoo it 3 x then roller set it then I sit under the dryer and last station is blowout. I have been getting my hair blown out in a Dominican hair salon for over 2 years and I have not had any issues, damages, breakages and only an occasional hot experience. I tend to get deep conditioner each time I get my hair done. The shop I go to if you buy there products it’s not extra for the deep conditioner, if you don’t then it’s an extra small cost. My hair has grown so much and it is healthier now than with relaxers. I can only speak for myself and I truly love the way my hair looks after getting the DBO and I receive many compliments.

October 20, 2013 at 9:29 pm
(85) nikki says:

I’ve had my first DBO a few days ago and loved it…plus after 3 years of being relaxer free I wanted to see the true length. I’m not going to lie, I was nervous and scared because of all the bad reviews. But I remembered that everyone’s experience is different as well as the hair types. Also, I thought about when I was getting relaxers that their process was RELAXER, WASH, SIT UNDER THE DRYER, COMB OUT, AND THEN FLAT IRON. Sometimes there was a hand dryer being used in the process. Sooo who much heat is that. Plus with my hair type, detangling my hair dry breaks it off worse. I’ll see how this goes and then repost end results but I’ll be going back very sooner than later. I’m not sure about white,black, dominican or other ethnicities hair care but I want someone, no matter to promote GOOD hair. Hair stylist used to tell me to get a perm (at the time) every 6 weeks. If I would have followed their advice I’d be bald headed. So I follow what I know is right for my hair.

October 24, 2013 at 11:51 pm
(86) nicola says:

Ok…I wish I had done just a little research when I first had the “wonderful” DBO experience. My hair was on its way to my waist with my personal recipe of one year of HRT, nettle, msm with HA 2k mg per day. I was going twice a month and when I noticed the breakage in the mirror. I had a crying episode in the salon. Now I will never let anyone touch my hair regularly only occasionally.

October 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm
(87) Ayanna says:

My hair was relaxed, I’d have my roots blown once a month. More than that my hair would break. while I was transitioning I’d go to the dominican salon for wash but I realized they don’t know how to manipulate natural hair. Tangling hair while washing is no good. When it’s time for a roller set they comb your hair with a rat tail comb from the root causing breakage. After a roller set and blow they want to flat iron. The heat from the dryers are intense. I’d say it is way more damaging than a press and curl. Now that I am natural I would never go to a Dominican salon. I’ll do my hair myself.

November 7, 2013 at 3:32 pm
(88) Tammie says:

It all depends on your hair……..I go to the Dominican salon at least once a month ( because that’s all my hair needs) and my DBO last anywhere from 3 to 4 weeks with the proper care. My hair is thick and healthy and I have never had any problems with Breakage. I have been going to the Dominicans for well over 5 years now ( 2 years natural) and love it especially when I want to wear my natural hair straight!!! I even started taking my 9 year daughter and it hasn’t done any damage to her hair either. She will never get it relaxer if I can help it because a DBO does absolutly great in her hair. From GA to NC I haven’t had any Problems with any of my DBO!!!

December 10, 2013 at 12:21 pm
(89) very sad says:

I got a DBO 2 months ago and my hair is coming out in clumps, I hate to comb it. I have very thick curly hair and i wanted to wear it straight so the stylist suggested the blowout. Dear God why did i agree. The burnt smell lasted for days and now the middle of my head (which was the thickest) is only about 2 inches and the rest is thinning and shedding like a dog in the summer…PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!! I literally shed tears every time i comb my hair.

March 2, 2014 at 12:10 pm
(90) Tabatha says:

Unless they take all Dominicans out of the country I will NEVER and I mean NEVER go back to an African American hair salon. People complain about the heat but black stylist use the same if not more direct heat with flat and curling irons and tons of unnecessary products. It doesn’t last very long and your hair doesn’t grow and retain length. On top of being in there for HOURS. Definitely not worth it. It is way less expensive and eliminates the need for a head full of weave when your own hair is growing extremely fast. Sorry….but I will stay with the Dominicans unless I need a good weave.

Once your hair is trained you wont need to go so often. They do so much less but a much better job than African American stylists.

March 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm
(91) Sadé says:

I stopped getting relaxers in Jan 2010 and am now fully natural after transitioning (no big chop). I have thick 3C/4A hair and in the Fall/Winter I get DBOs every 2 weeks. In the Spring/Summer, I tend to wear my hair curly most of the time due to the humidity and water activities — this balance seems to work for my hair.I get trims every 10-12 weeks and my hair is healthy and growing and my curl pattern is fine (I also only finger detangle when washing while wearing it curly so as not to disrupt the curl pattern). I deep condition every 4-6 weeks.

DBOs definitely aren’t for everyone, but I think they work well in moderation and on thicker hair that can withstand the heat that comes with that process. I think the key is to minimize manipulation and additional heat between blowouts — I typically just wrap my hair every night in a satin scarf and then I might bump my ends or curl my bang a couple times a week, but that’s it.

Hope this is helpful!

March 16, 2014 at 5:58 am
(92) Sarah says:

Wanted to add some respect for cultural and linguistic identities to this convo.
1. The “communication problem” mentioned by some is in fact, not a problem, unless native-Spanish speakers are a “problem” and you’re referring to human beings a “problem.” The “DBO” stops being just a “Dominican” blow-out as soon as you have the skills required to communicate what you want. If you tell a hair-dresser what you want, they generally aim to please, no matter what nationality, so you and your $$ will come back. If you’ve had an experience (like we all have) where you’ve clearly communicated what you want and didn’t get it, please don’t blame that on an entire nationality just like we wouldn’t expect someone to blame it on race.

3. Hair styling in in the D.R. has a history rooted in racial & socioeconimic identity, like the history of chemical hair-straightening in the U.S.. In both the US and the DR, black women with thick, coarse, curly hair who choose to wear their hair natural still find it difficult to locate salons who cater to that. How else could Ouidad & Devachan get away with ridiculously high prices for a curl-cutting technique? Shouldn’t that be easy to find? But no one reading this is that naive, and we know the history behind why this is unfortunately the case. The “DBO” is a practice for wearing hair straight long-term for many. The “DBO” becomes much healthier in that context than chemical straightening.

If you want a healthy blow-out that looks great but probably won’t last as long, SAY IT! Ask to have the heat lowered, do rollers first, deep-condition, etc.. If you are a monolingual English-speaker, by all means go, but please don’t be indignant when whats being called the “Dominican blow out” because of nationality is being done by a native Spanish-speaker. Keep in mind that Spanish is an official part of the national identity this conversation is loosely referring to, not a blow-out technique.

April 24, 2014 at 7:09 am
(93) seriousforgod says:

I currently got a DBO and I loved it. I’ve natural for almost 2 years now. My hair is very coarse and thick so my hair can take the heat. I prep my hair by washing it at home and putting a protein treatment in my hair before I go to the Dominicans. I allow them to wash and condition my hair but like most of you ladies, I stay away from their special treatments.My hair is growing fast because I take hair, nails, and skin vitamins, drink plenty of water, exercise regularly, and eat lots of fruits and vegetables, which promotes your hair to grow healthy.