Fortunately for today's consumer, shampoos for black hair have come a very long way. Not only do we now enjoy an incredibly large selection of cleansers designed for our hair's unique needs, but they come in a range of price points for every budget. This list of shampoos are among some of the best for black hair.
This deliciously scented shampoo will be gentle on your hair. Like many cleansers these days, this one is free of drying sulfates. Your hair will be pampered with a mixture of sweet-smelling oils like argan and sesame. Follow up your cleansing session with the accompanying conditioner and your style will be off to a fantastic start.
2. Alaffia Shea & Virgin Coconut Enriching Shampoo
If issues like fair trade and fair treatment of people in underdeveloped nations are important to you, you can use this shampoo and ease your mind at the same time. Produced with African black soap, don't expect a lot of lather from this Alaffia shampoo -- its sulfate-free makeup makes sure no drying lather takes its toll on your hair. Instead, you're treated to a subtly scented cleanser that looks and performs like the natural product it is.
3. Curls Pure Curls Clarifying ShampooThe more you put on your hair to get that great style everyone envies, the more you have to eventually remove. Mousse, hair spray, oil sheen, setting lotion, daily styling aids and more don't all get washed away with each shampoo. Over time, you may notice your tresses don't have the same sheen. They may feel limp as well. That's when you should introduce a clarifying shampoo into your routine, and this one from Curls is incredibly gentle. Traditional clarifiers were designed to strip the hair's natural oils, something black hair doesn't need. Clarifying treatments like this are gentle enough for black hair, but you should still use them sparingly.
4. Jason Natural Apricot Shampoo
Love the selection of natural hair products out there? Then you'll love this JASON shampoo, which is full of natural goodness like plant-based ingredients. Completely sulfate-free, this is a great cleanser for anyone, including those of you with color-treated and chemically processed locks. Plus, like a lot of other shampoos these days, this one isn't marketed strictly toward black consumers; you should have no trouble finding this in your health food store or natural grocery mart.
5. Aubrey Organics GPB Shampoo Lavender Ylang Ylang
With a makeup of 78% natural ingredients, this offering from Aubrey Organics can boast it's nearly all natural. Added milk and soy proteins in this product make it a good choice for anyone suffering from weak tresses that easily break. It's designed to be gentle on your hair while giving it a strengthening boost.
6. Kinky Curly Come Clean Shampoo
Great curls start with your cleansing session, even if you just begin with a conditioner wash. The entire Kinky-Curly line is concerned with giving you the most wonderful looking, frizz-free curls imaginable. Start with this cleanser, which makes sure old, oily buildup won't take away from your final style.
If you prefer shampoo bars, this is the one you must try! Lightly scented with a pleasing herbal/citrus blend, this cleanser is full of moisturizing goodness in the form of oils and butters perfect for combating dry locks. Don't expect a lot of lather; instead, this glycerine-based bar gently cleans the hair without stripping it of its natural oils.
8. Motions Naturally You Moisturizing Cleanser
Your hair doesn't have to be natural to appreciate this shampoo, but if it is, it'll probably love this rich and creamy cleanser, especially since it doesn't come with the high price tag that some other shampoos do. You can easily find Motions products in beauty supply and drug stores, making it perfect for the woman who wants great hair at an affordable price.