From the article: 10 Bad Things to do to Black Hair
Almost all of us have done something wrong to our hair at some point. Maybe it was the time you put a smoking hot curling iron on wet hair. Or maybe you relaxed and highlighted it on the same day. Hopefully, whatever you did wasn't permanent. Share your worst hair crimes and let's see if we can look back and laugh about our mistakes! Time to 'Fess Up!
- It was a day before the beginning of the new school year, and my hair was looking like a wild puffy mess, so my mom did my relaxer. Since I was 6, my mom has always done my relaxer, and it couldn't be left on for 5 minutes before my scalp felt like it was on fire. I would never get straight results. But this time I really wanted to get my hair straight before I started 8th grade, so I told my mom to let the relaxer stay on for the recommended time. I sat watching tv with the relaxer on my head though clenched teeth. It was like people stabbing hot needles in my scalp. Tears were starting to form in my eyes when it was finally time to wash it out. She neutralized it 3 times and shampooed 3 times, and boy did it hurt afterwards. Funny thing is, I went through all that and my hair STILL was puffy and nowhere near straight. Scabs formed all over my scalp and hair. I tried picking them out but it hurt to the touch. I swore to myself never to relax again. I have been transitioning for 2 months
- —Guest Mya DeSouza
my worst hair sin
- Honestly not knowing how to take care of my hair and not cutting my ends. I was never taught these things or had no desire to learn until I got older
- —Guest sharnette n
I must be a hair murderer !:(
- For 2 years I've bleached my hair brown then black then back blonde, now it's black and short. Does not go with my skin, I would kill for my platinum blonde hair back :( or my natural golden hair, worst thing I ever did was cut it off earlier this year!!! UGH
- —Guest wish I was blonde again
My Worst Hair Sin
- I actually have a lot of hair sins that range most of the article. I've used heat without heat protectant, never wrapped my hair up at night, rough detangling, etc. I've never colored my hair. My hair is naturally light brown and I've thought about doing low lights and dying parts darker, lol. I think the greatest sin I've done to my hair was when I was about 8 years old. I tried to do my own hair one summer and I couldn't. I got fed up and cut like 2 inches off one of my haphazard pony tails. My mother never found out and it grew back. Now I'm transitioning. I'd been relaxing my hair for 16 years (since I was 5) and I got fed up with the burns and the prices. I'm 10 months post-relaxer :-)
- —Guest DolceGirl09
- I can name a bunch of times. When I permed my hair, cut it all off, dyed it blonde. I've done horrible things to my hair. Never again.
- —Guest Eva
- About a year ago, my hair was in really good shape so I decided that bleaching the tips won't do any harm. I WAS COMPLETELY WRONG! At first it was great, but a few weeks later, the tips of my hair started to split and fall off. I dyed my whole head back to black, but that was definitely the death of my hair. I've been having to cut it almost every three weeks since then, and now I'm left with shoulder length hair, a good 6 inches from how it used to be before.
- —Guest Cat
Braids to tight!
- Went to the salon, they said they were closing so I didn't want to waste their time so I chose a simple and easy style that would only take an hour or so (knowing my hair). Since my hair has grown the woman doing it was dragging my hair when she was combing it-- that's what it felt like. By the end I was surprised I wasn't bald! I asked her to be quick. So she rushed and made it TIGHT and smiling is a difficult. She even got my baby hairs (the untouchables) since it broke two years ago, it took even longer! and the worst part: I don't like the hairstyle! (The way she did it didn't come out nice with my hair)
- —Guest YoungHairRanger
they don like my hair
- having long hair is not my dream..ever since. when it reach my backbone i always go to my hairstylist.. then it comes a time that i decided to cut it really short just like a boycut..haha.
- —Guest boyish me
hair just won;t grow long
- My hair is very fine I can not perm it, or evrn press it. What can I do?
- —Guest BAP
Shampoo... or lack of it!
- I hate washing my hair. I can almost feel the natural oils rinsing out and down the drain. The longest I've gone without washing it I'm afraid to say is about 7 months (very gross I know). I hate having dry hair so before I wash it I pour as much oil and cream over it and leave a shower cap on for like half the day. I have to say though, since I've been doing this my hair has grown down to the mid of my back. 4 years ago it didn't even pass my shoulders.. so maybe hair really does clean itself? p.s. After being told this would be slowly killing my hair I've gone up to once a fortnight but it already feels much more brittle!
- —Guest Too ashamed
omg worst hair sin eva!!!!!
- omg I grew my hair soo long and it had split ends and my dad won't let me cut it so now my my hair is up to my butt UGH!! It's soo ugly and it's always been and I've never ever cut my hair before omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg >:( D: :'( :(
- —Guest shanaenay
Worst hair sin
- Oooooooooooweeee learning the hard way what not to do before a perm, no exercising to sweat it out, no scratching, no soda, not a lot of combing
- —Guest Sandra
bleaching and relaxing bad idea
- I bleached my hair, turned it red, color washed out, bought another dye, dyed it again, waited a while and within three months of dying thought i could use a relaxer... bad idea. My hair is still coming out. Oh and I had braids put in that stayed for two weeks. I must confess, my hair is a mess and just to think how long and pretty it was. tears
- —Guest dantae
Never cut my split ends
- My hair was growing really long and I hadn't cut my split ends after I had got a perm and then my hair really started splitting; my hair was past shoulder length and within a year as of now my hair is only touching the tip of my shoulders, from now on I'll always get my split ends clipped
- —Guest fay
Double box relaxer
- Once while I was still in high school, I relaxed my hair with a box Relaxer. Realized that it was not fully straightened when I finished and went right back over it with the Relaxer again. I got it straight, but I had scabs all in my head.
- —Guest smoot
1-15 of 28Next