- Well. I transitioned for 7months, every month, my mom chopped an inch off.... I wore air dried roller sets, and sew ins mostly roller set though.... At the end of August 2013 after a week of wearing my Jerry curl weave I told my mom I was ready for the chop... The back was mostly natural anyways... Now the top was like a fat kid running cross country (nothing against chunky kids, 1/2 of my family is big boned) but it's kind of straight but it has been cut down. I now have kinky twists, they've been in since August 20th. I will take them out in November, of course I will wash, condition and refresh my twist.
- —Guest Trendy
It's done...now what?
- I just did my big chop10/6/13 unintentionally. Now I have about an inch of hair as well. I am scared, happy and excited all at the same time but at a loss as to what to do from this point onward. I am hoping I don't panic and go back to creamy crack.
- —Guest Shuga_Shay
My BIG Chop
- I did my big chop after about 6 months of transitioning. I was so fed up with my relaxed ends that when I saw the first sign of breakage, I chopped. I felt so relieved, so free when I looked in the mirror. I love the idea, but I've always had insecurities about my hair and when my bf didn't like it I got braids. Can't wait to see the growth after about a year.
- —Guest Finnisse
- When i BC I was like it will grow Back and it was dry and all my haters was like I'm baldheaded but wateva I love my natural hair it is growing and I'm happy so that is all that matters!!!!
- —Guest Hailey
- I just did the big chop today on October 4, 2013. I got my last relaxer on August 8, 2012. I was scared to do it. However, I was so sick of the knots and tangles. My stylist convinced me that once I got rid of the relaxed ends my hair would be easier to manage. I have about 4 to 5 inches of new growth. I am wearing a two strand twist. I like my hair but I miss the 6 inches of relaxed ends. I got 2 compliments right after leaving the salon. I must admit I was a little afraid to go in the house. My husband loved my long hair. To be honest with you, he thinks that the length is a temporary hairstyle. At first he said "did you cut your hair." I said I cut some of the relaxer out. He said didn't I tell you @$ ;. It was so funny. Seriously he really don't know how much hair chopped off. Eventually he will though.....I change the subject every time he say something about my hair....I love my texture. It has a nice curl pattern....I was regretting on the way home. I know I did what was best :)
- My big chop was kind of spur of the moment. I had been transitioning since April of this year and I planned to transition for about a year so I would have a decent amount of length. But after getting a HORRIFIC weave and being fed up with the whole weaving process I decided to BC on August 21. I was extremely nervous during the cut about what I would look like and what my boyfriend would think of it. At first I wasn't a fan of my hair cut because I had no curls and looked like I had a high-top fade lol. But after A few weeks of patience & product exprimenting my curls are beginning to form and I absolutely adore my hair (my boyfriend loves it too, he can't keep his hands out of my hair :\ lol) and I'm talking about how this is the best decision I've ever made. I love my cute little curls and I can't wait till my hair starts growing out more.
- —Guest Janissa
- I just did my big chop 10/2/13 and I have about an inch of hair. Unsure of what to do next, but glad I did it
- —Guest Kristen
- I want to thank Big Chop Coming Soon. My husband is not on board but there is something to be said about getting older and feeling you're in another place. I too am new to transitioning and have decided to cut in between braiding in hopes that by February I can cut what's remaining. I am a little nervous because I don't even remember how to take care of my natural hair since Ive been relaxed so long. I do know however that there is a lot of support and am glad to be taking better care of myself by going natural.
- —Guest #cant wait
i want to do my big chop but i am scared
- I have been transitioning from March to date but I had natural hair for a year before and when I got pregnant, I permed my hair again due to pregnancy hormones.........lol. I am scared to cut my hair now but I can't stand the different textures of my hair now. I need some support...............sigh
IM NOT SURE
- Well I'm really not sure if I want to do the big chop. I know it's probably the best thing to do right now but I don't know if I'm ready. My hair has never been that short. Currently, my hair is above the shoulder and I have about an inch and a half of new growth. I just don't know what the next step should be.
- —Guest Nyjae
Big Chop 2013
- Well I am a novice I feel when it comes to natural hair. I got the BC May of this year, tomorrow will actually be four months since my BC. I remember feeling as if I was starting over new. Leaving behind my relaxed hair and everything that happened within those of years of me being relaxed. I felt a sense of freedom and pride that is still present now. My sister actually cut my hair for me. I had a lot of support from her and my friends who are all natural. I also wanted to make sure that I was doing this for myself, not because I was seeing other people doing it. But I thought that it was one of the best decisions that I've made. I'm loving my natural hair :)
- —Guest Shante
My Big Chop
- On August 8th I did my 3rd big chop in 2 years. I have finally made up my mind that I want to be a natural. I cut it all the way down - after 1 month of transitioning. I can't wait to see the length but in the mean time I am rocking my TWA.
- —Guest God"s Girl
Yes I big chopped!
- So I finally big chopped after 2 months of transitioning! I love it but my boyfriend hates it! He says I look like a boy and never wants me to cut my hair again. I must admit that hurts but I love what I've done and though it's hard without the support of your loved ones there is no turning back. What's done is done and now I can move forward with my hair journey. I'm excited :-)
- —Guest MyHairDontCare
DID THE BIG CHOP AUGUST 8 2013
- LOVE. LIKE IT, wish I did it sooner, need it big, when I was little I had natural hair until I turned 18, I went to texas and cut it all off my head, now 20 yrs later I am cutting it again
- —Guest linda 2013
I Did it and i am So proud of myself!
- I did it today(8-7-13)! After 10 months of transitioning, I couldn't wait anymore to see my real hair texture! I'm so happy because it's the start of a new me. I don't care about people's opinion. Now, it's me and myself! Yaaaayyy!
- —Guest Mekissa 92