From the article: Pros and Cons of the Big Chop - The Quick Path to Natural Hair
Positive or negative, funny or poignant -- share your big chop story, including the reaction you received from friends, family, coworkers and strangers! Share Your Story
- I did my big chop on April 26th 2013. Lets just say I LOVE IT!!! I have been known all my life to have long hair and cutting it was a major step for me. My family was very supportive, however my boyfriend lost it. After youtubing videos and showing him it will grow back he has accepted it. My new nick name with him is "Jill Scott" I'm happy about that because I find her beautiful! Anywho, long story short, I feel free, liberated etc. I did have a freak out moment when my friend was done cutting it but my 3 year old daughter told me I look pretty lol.
- —Guest Nicole
- After 9 months of transitioning, I'm finally going to BC. I had little support on this changing journey so I'm a bit nervous of what others will think. But at the end of the day it's my hair. And God gave me this hair so I might as well appreciate it. Only 3 more days and I'm free of the curse!
- —Guest Almost Au Naturale
- I am 18 n BC after 3 months surprisingly I still had a nice amount of length still its about a neck length fro and I've never felt more free
- —Guest young wild n free
i wanna be natural
- Did my big chop, been transitioning for about 6 months, my hair is really short lol but I don't care... going for my one year journey
- —Guest Falan
Enjoy your freedom and love yourself!
- I am 55 and just big chopped on 5/5/2013. My youngest daughter started her journey 5 years ago and now her hair is down her back. She started with the TWA also. I am rocking a serious TWA and have received nothing but compliments because I am fierce no matter what the texture. I love who I am and I rock my TWA with pride. I felt a spiritual and actual freedom upon the BC. I did mine myself with scissors first, then followed over trimming with clippers, edged it up, and it is beautiful. Making my moisturizer with unrefined shea butter, virgin coconut oil, almond oil, jojoba oil, virgin olive oil, avocado oil, and aloe vera oil, feeding your hair upon the styling or after the co-wash. Daily cowash with conditioner only. I sleep in a silk scarf at night after a quick styling in the morning, just feel free and left the death attached to the weak, relaxed hair in my past. I had a heart attack last year and literally died. I am back with God's blessing and a new start. Blessings!
- —Guest Mama Scherrie
- I did my big chop April 12, 2013 after about a year of transitioning. My last perm was in April 2012 and it had taken a chunk of my hair out. So as my hair grew out, I would get rollersets and then I started getting press and curls. The heat from the pressing comb took out my edges and my "kitchen". Finally I decided to chop it all off. After I got my BC, I had this feeling of "crap, what did I do?!" But that night I co-washed it and my curls popped. And now I love my TWA. I'll never go back to perms or pressing combs ever again. Some people have ignorant comments but I don't care. I love being natural and how God made me. "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." 1 Peter 3:3-4
I did it!!!!
- Well I can't believe I decided to bc yesterday (May 2, 2013) my hair is currently around 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches and I personally love it but I just don't like the stares and remarks firing others.... I'm going to stay strong with this and rock it!
- —Guest G'Naya Stewart
I AM NATURALLLLL!!!!!!
- I did the big chop yesterday 5/1/2013 and I am never happier. I only transitioned for 6 months but in my defense I didn't know I was transitioning, I just didn't like perms so I didn't get one. Now with me I was figuring out if I really wanted to do the big chop or transition but I hated the thick roots and straight ends so I would say next year I'm cutting, then that went to last day of school, then that went to next month, to week, then I woke up from a nap after school and said "why Not Its Just Hair" and " its going to grow back". so then I called my aunt and within min. I was sitting in a chair with scissors at my neck. after the big chop I was in more shock cause of how good it looked on me. So to all my plus sized young ladies....you WILL look good with short hair. and IT'S GOING TO GROW BACK plus LOOK HEALTHIER. I'M WITH YOU
My hair don't care
- I did the bc in Dec 2012 and loved my type 4 kinky hair instantly. My co-workers (different ethnicity) were very quick to say how they felt about my decision. Some liked it while others weren't sure because it was so short, but most wanted to "see how it felt". Now that it is about 3 inches long, some say they liked it better when it was shorter. I will never be able to please them, but that never mattered because I am confident and happy with my hair no matter what length, texture or style it is. People are always going to have something to say, but the only thing that really matters is that you are happy with you. Go team natural!
- Just did my big chop and my scalp is itchy. Also, I wear wigs in public
- —Guest Aleanna
fat neck patches
- I look like fat neck patches with a bald head but I'm still happy because I know it will grow back and it will be healthy
- —Guest nesha08
Short Hair Don't Care
- I recently cut my hair into a TWA on March 8th, 2013. I finally got sick of having my hair become bald, thin, breaking, and shedding on a consistent basis. However, I did cut my hair into a short hairstyle a while back (November 30th, 2012). All around my head was shaved or tapered and a section of my hair left over. Eventually my hair grew back within a month and half to almost 1/2 inch. I was so stunned at the growth, but not the texture so I eventually permed my hair once again. After that last perm (January 18th, 2013), I decided enough was enough due to me developing cuts and sores around the crown of my hair and my hair beginning to bald on one side. Since that day, I haven't permed my hair, but went natural (this is matter of fact my 3rd attempt on going natural). I can finally say I am confident and happy with the results. Yes, it's short and I get glares or comments stating, "Are you gay?", but oh well ... wear makeup and dress feminine.
- —Guest Mariah
Woke Up and Grabbed the scissors
- I have always loved it when I see a woman with natural hair and wanted to do it . I did the BC today March 2, 2013. And I have like 2" of hair :/ I know I have to be patient with it, but for now I'm rocking a sew-in for the first couple of months to let it grow out. It's gonna take some getting used to, but I am happy that I did it. We have Beautiful hair underneath all of the "creamy crack". I can't wait to see my natural hair grow out (:
- —Guest Keziyah
Luv being natural!
- I did my big chop 08/04/12 and I love it! I am a 40 yr old women and I have never seen my natural hair until now! I love it so much!
- —Guest Dee
not a bc
- I didn't actually chop my hair. I had relaxed hair but it was breaking really quickly. I didn't know what to do do then i decided to leave my hair and not retouch. After a while all the relaxed hair was gone and I had natural hair again. I didn't even notice!
- —Guest macy
1-15 of 66Next